Friday, December 12, 2008

Ten years ago today....

We got engaged!

I love our engagement story and Rich for putting so much thought into it. Some of you may already know the story but I am going to tell it again.

Rich and I had been dating for about 2 years and we had looked at rings and I picked out what I wanted but didn't want to know when it would be done being made or when Rich picked it up - I wanted all that to be a surprise. Rich was graduating from college in the spring and had been applying for jobs and had an interview up in Seattle with Boeing. In the email coordinating his trip up there his plane tickets were through Southwest and they had a special going on at the time for buy one get one free on plane tickets. So Rich asked if I wanted to go with him. I was so excited and we were going to stay with my friend who had just gotten married and lived in Seattle. A few days before we left the jeweler called and told me my ring wouldn't be done for a couple weeks. I was so mad that he called me, because I didn't want to know anything about when it would be done. But, since he did call me I knew that Rich wouldn't be proposing in Seattle because there was no ring. We flew up to Seattle and our plane was delayed for something and we got in really late and missed the interview which was suppose to be that night. Rich called the guy and rescheduled for the next morning. We were meeting him for lunch in the restaurant at the top of the space needle. Rich and I were both dressed up and went to the restaurant and were barely seated when the waitress came up and told Rich that he had a phone call. So he left and came back after the call and said the person doing the interview was running late and would meet up with us for dessert after lunch. I was relieved that I didn't have to eat in front of some strange man. We got our lunch and ate and after we were done the waitress came walking up from behind me and said, It's time for dessert and set down a dessert like the picture below, but instead of the ice cream on the stand there was my ring! I was so surprised, and there was so much smoke I could barely see Rich across the table.
Rich took the ring and then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was still in complete shock - I think I said yes! Everyone in the restaurant started clapping and cheering. I was so confused and kept thinking the man was going to come to interview Rich. The whole interview was all a lie and part of his plan. After lunch we had to hurry back to the airport to catch our plane back. We were married 3 months later on March 13.

7 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

I love it! I'm so glad you retold that to the rest of us! You were literally on top of the world:)

Sharee said...

What a cute story! What a thoughtful man that you married.

Belnap Family said...

I love hearing that story! I think it's so funny that you were still thinking about the interview guy even after he proposed!!! He did a good job planning the surprise!

Kelly said...

What a cool way to propose! I have always wanted to go to the space needle. Seeing how they bring out the dessert makes me want to go even more.

Rachel said...

I have never heard that story.. or if I had I didn't remember. That is really sweet and romantic... with a lot of thought. Way to go rich.

Valerie said...

you had really been dating for two years?

Honeycombs said...

I loved that it happened here in Seattle and that I was a small part of it. You skipped the part about sleeping on the floor of my apartment, didn't I make you sleep in my room so you weren't in the same room as Rich?