Sunday, August 24, 2008

Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon

After 7 weeks of training it was finally the day for the 1/2 marathon. We ran in the race with Rich's sister Valerie and her husband Todd Johnson. We spent the night at my sister's house in Smithfield Friday night, she was going to watch our boys Saturday while we ran. We were bussed up Blacksmith Fork Canyon between 5:30 and 6:15am - it was still dark and cold outside. There were about 1200 people running in the race - which is a pretty impressive amount of people. The race started just after 7am, the temperature was great for running. It was a little chilly and overcast and we even had a breeze blowing from behind us on our way out of the canyon.


Not a glamour shot - this picture was taken just before crossing the finish line, as you can see I am very focused on the finish line! I wore a running belt that held my water bottle and jelly bellies with electrolytes. It may look silly but I was so glad I had it.

Rich and I after the race. Even though we didn't stay together while we ran - it was still fun to do the race together and train and work towards this goal together. Rich finished in 1 hour 55 minutes and I finished in 2 hours 5 minutes.


Since Rich and I were both running we didn't have our camera for a lot of pictures. Rich's brother and his wife were cheering us on at the finish line and took a couple pictures. My brother in law Todd got a bloody nipple from running in a cotton shirt and didn't reallze it until after the race. In this picture he has turned his shirt around to try to hide the bloody mess.


4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Good Job Rich and Buffy!
jellie bellies made for runners?
Exciting!

Nicole said...

Didn't rich tell him about the scabby nipples band? that was inspired by scabby nipples from running. Way to go you guys, you are an inspiration!

Honeycombs said...

Great job on the run. Do they do a half and a full marathon for this race? It sounds a lot like Merissa marathon with the ride to the starting line. I bet it will feel nice to be back down to regular running lengths this week. Congrats!

B&C Parke Family said...

You are my inspiration! Great job!